- To investigate student use of physical space, especially in terms of problems that students may have with interacting with the library and finding their needed resources.
- To assess flaws and highlights of a library’s digital space and learn to correct them.
- To solidify and expand knowledge of working with user experience or as a UX librarian within an academic library setting.
- Explore DUL campuses as a visiting student for fresh takes on the space.
- Complete observational studies and assist in assembling reports.
- Review problems encountered by Duke students and search for solutions through triangulation, literature reviews, advisory boards, and modified usability studies.
- Form recommendations based on above problem solving methods.
- Study the DUL websites in search of weak spots as well as strong points.
- Assist with page management and creation through using Drupal, Institutional Repository, and other DUL web management tools.
- Analyze LibGuides for weak spots and strong points.
- Add to Best Practices report for DUL LibGuides.
- Meet, create, assist, and work with the AUX department in their daily projects.
- Scour existing documentation from DUL on usability studies and observational reports.
- Sit in on approximately 2 departmental meetings per month (regardless of if topic pertains to field study students; with permission of site supervisor).
- Explore SharePoint documentation from HR pertaining to AUX and other DUL hiring procedure.
- Able to speak fluently on the methodology of observational studies.
- Able to design and execute unique observational studies and companion reports.
- Comfortable manipulating library-specific web pages and LibGuides.
|Learning Contract||18 January||Here|
|Self-evaluation (on entrance)||18 January||Here|
|Reflection Blog||18 January||Here|
|Apply for two jobs||8 February||N/A|
|Self-evaluation (on exit)||20 April|
|Supervisor Evaluation||2 May|
Items subject to change as needed.
233R, Perkins Library, Duke University
- Wednesday: 9:30am - 3:00pm
- Thursday: 9:00am - 12:00pm (virtual office hours)
- Friday: 9:30am - 11:30pm